Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Advent Calendar

Earlier this year I decided I didn't want to buy gifts (toys) for my children for Christmas. That may sound horrible to some, but I have my reasons.

First, they have enough crap. Seriously. I can't walk into their rooms without tripping all over the the toys they already have.

Second, I want them to understand that it's not about the gifts. I don't want to raise greedy kids who think they should get the newest and greatest toy just because it's Christmas. It's about spending time with family and being thankful for what you already have.

With that said, I decided to do an advent calendar this year that focuses on doing things (and spending time) as a family. Since I only have J every other week, I made sure to schedule the activities that would impact him the most for the days he's here.

For instance, donating a toy. I've talked to J a lot about how blessed he is to have what he does. I know my kids don't have everything they've always wanted, but they do have a lot. And definitely more that many kids out there whose family can't afford anything. So this year I'm taking the kids to the store to pick out a special toy to donate to a local charity.

There will also be a lot of activities that focus on spending time doing special activities around town. I guess I've been living under a rock all these years, because I never knew so many things were happening this time of year.

I wish I could show you my calendar that I've spent the past week working on (at night after the kiddos went to sleep) but I haven't quite finished it yet. I was hoping to have it done by the first, but time slipped away. So, once I get it finished I'll update with a photo. Oh, and speaking of photos, I somehow lost my camera so all of the photos I plan to upload over the next few weeks will be from my phone, so their quality will be lacking. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment