Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween




I cannot believe it is November already. How did that happen?
I had a lot of fun this year with the kid's costumes. I let J pick out the theme again this year and he decided on Star Wars after he saw a Darth Vader costume at the store. I knew I couldn't make one better so I forked over the $20 and called it a day. Of course, then we went on the search for a light saber. The cheapest one we could find was $10. I know that's not a lot, but I really wanted to keep cost down so I tried to come up with something different. My search led me to the Halloween accessories aisle where I found a foam sword. Then with a few cuts to make it look more "saber" like and a nice coat of red paint we were set. I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out, and for $2, you can't beat that.
 
With J being Darth I decided to make A Princess Leia (original, huh?). After doing some research (I'm not too familiar with Star Wars, so I wasn't sure what she wore) I decided to make the white dress Leia wore in "A New Hope." I set out in search of an easy pattern for a long sleeve dress and came across this one. I did tweak it a bit to make the sleeves come to a point, but other than that, it is exactly the same (it was so easy to make, I even made another one out of cute Halloween fabric). For the belt I bought a pack of key chains from the jewelry section in Jo Ann's and clasped them together, then tied white ribbon to each end and tied it around her waist. I knew A wouldn't wear a wig, nor would she stand to wear a headband, so I did the next best thing. I put her hair in pigtails but looped the last little bit of hair so it looked like a bun. Easy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment