Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

6 Layer Lego Brick Cake!!

That's right, J's cake was a whopping six layers! But not just any 6 layers would do, oh no, I had to go above and beyond.

First item of business was the overall look of the cake. Originally I wanted to do a "brick" style cake and have them stacked (like this), but J wasn't sold on that. So we sat down at the computer and went through a few different Lego cake styles. At that time he picked this one and I was determined to get it done. But of course, the week before his birthday we came up with a different style, now I was going to make a Lego figurine head. Honestly, I was happy about this change. I knew that it would be more work to make and cut all of the fondant for the first one. But now I had a new issue to fix. Since the outside of the cake was going to be plain (compared to the original one) I would need to make the inside pop and be the real "wow" factor.

At that point I started to research "rainbow" cakes. I knew with his color theme (red, blue, green and yellow) a rainbow colored cake would look really neat. But the ones I kept coming across (like this and this) just seemed too girly. They were cute, but not really what I would think for a boys Lego party.

That's when I started to think outside the box and wanted to come up with something on my own, something different.

That's where this came from.
Pretty cool, huh? I think so.
 
It was actually pretty easy to make, too.
 
First it started the same way the other rainbow cakes I researched did. I mixed my (store bought) cake mix in a big bowl (per package instructions) then divided it into four other bowls. Since I knew I was making six layers I just doubled the amount of cake batter for two colors.
Then I just poured my batter into my six round cake pans as usual and baked per package instructions. Nothing special. Once they were baked I let them cool so I would be able to handle them better. **I probably should have slightly frozen them, that way they would have been easier to cut**
 
Then I cut them like you would do for a checkerboard cake. Don't know what I mean? Well here's a not so detailed description.
 
First you need to make a template of your cake. To do this I just traced the bottom of my cake pan onto card stock. Now you have a large circle. Next you'll want to draw a smaller circle inside your larger one, leaving about 2 inches between the lines. Then you want to draw another circle inside of that one. I'm not sure how confusing this sounds, but what you wind up with is a "bulls-eye" (think Target symbol, ha ha). Now you'll need to cut your template so that you only have the middle ring left. Here's a picture of my template on my cake.
See what I mean? Okay, so now you need to place your template onto your cake, try to center it as best you can. While holding it still, cut around your template. Make sure you cut along the outer edge of your template as well as the inner edge. After you make your cuts, carefully separate you rings. Now you will have this.
Outer ring, middle ring, inner circle.
 
Do this for all six cakes. Now you will have this.
At this point I decided to gather all of my rings by size and color and line them up. Now comes the fun part, putting the cakes back together. You can do this in any order you choose, but be mindful of how your layers will stack. Try not to place two similar colors on top of each other. Once mine were put back together this is what they looked like.
I then just stacked them as you would a normal layer cake. Place your bottom cake layer, then add icing, then your next cake layer, icing, cake, etc. until you have all six layers stacked. Now all you need to do is finish icing the outside of the cake. I'm not a cake baker or decorator, so don't look to me for tips on that. If you need help there just Google, that's what I have to do, ha ha.

So now that your cake is assembled and iced it should look something like this (this picture was taken after we had already eaten some from the back, that's why it's leaning so much). To add the face I just used a tube of icing that was made for writing. It allowed me to control where I was putting it. Since I was using black, I didn't want to mess up.
Here are a few more inside shots, just because I think they're cool.
There you have it. A super easy and really cute Lego cake. Enjoy!
 
 
*As usual, if you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments*
 

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! I am trying to get my Mom to make it for my brother's birthday!

    Nicole from Coco's Kitchen Lab http://www.thehipwest.com/cocoskitchenlab/

    ReplyDelete